Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My "9 to 5" Daily Grind

Ephesians 1:18 - I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you.

Coming out of college, I knew I wanted to work in sports but I DID NOT want a desk job. After completing several desk job internships, I knew a 9 to 5, suit and tie,  was not the move for my life at this current time. Therefore, that left only two other options: graduate school or professional basketball. To some the choice would have been obvious, but as I explained in my previous posts, the decision to play professional basketball was not that simple and easy for me. Yet I, or I should say God, chose the latter for me and I am overjoyed that He did. There is no other job out there that suits my talents, my gifts, and my personality any better. All the more, it is fulfilling God’s purpose and plan for my life. Bible says, "Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established." - Proverbs 16:3. Therefore, my job does not get any better. Let me tell you about my job…
As many already know, I am currently playing professionally basketball in the beautiful country of France. That is the first perk of my job. I am seeing another part of the world for FREE. One of the items on my bucket list was to travel the world and visit as many places as I could. By playing in France, I have been granted the unique opportunity to visit the whole country for free, and granted the ability to travel to other countries on my weekends off. They are literally just a train ride away! I am actually taking my first leisure trip this weekend! Post about that will definitely follow!
Another great aspect about my job is that I work nowhere near a 9 to 5 schedule. My workdays are literally two to four hours long, and if they are as long as four, believe they are not consecutive. Let me take you through a typical “workday” for me:
On a four-hour workday, my day would begin at 10:30am with weight training (yes I sleep in every day!). This usually lasts about an hour. After weight my team and I would go into our gymnasium and “free shoot” for 20-30 minutes. When we are through with shooting, it is recovery time. We are free and have no obligations until 6pm when we evening practice. This is when we get all of our running in. This practice is usually an hour and a half  (two hours if we are just doing terrible). Then, I am done for the day. On the days when I work only two hours, it is because I do not have weight training that day! I literally cannot complain about the hours I “work.”
Lastly, the best thing about my job is that I get to stay in shape (and by in shape I mean eat a lot of Oreos and not worry because I will run it off in practice and at games J). No gym membership needed! I have a job that allows me to travel, work very short hours, and keep me fit and healthy. I am literally getting “paid to play.” It does not get any better. And to think, I almost passed up on this opportunity. What was I thinking??? I am truly blessed. Thank you God for being my Guide and steering me in the right direction. May Your will be done. Amen!

Peace, Grace, and Blessing

T.C. 



1 comment:

  1. I love your blogs so I can keep up with you! Keep allowing God to use you and continue to enjoy this time in your life, hopefully I'll be over there with you seen if not I'll definitely be there in January! Love ya girl!

    -Alisha Filmore

    ReplyDelete